Why do we fall flat on the ground or offer Obeisance?
We offer obeisances for the following reasons:
Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is the Supreme Creator and our Supreme father. We are His eternal devotees. Everything in this world is provided by Him. Thus we need to become humble and accept His Supremacy.
Just as we respect our parents and elders, similarly we should offer our respect to the eldest of all persons: the Supreme Personality of Godhead. In the Vedic tradition the best way to pay respect is by offering obeisances.
3. Devotional Service:
Offering obeisances is an important part of devotional service by which the devotee confirms his attitude of submission.
Glories of offering obeisances stated in vedic scriptures
- Skanda Purana mentions the glories of offering obeisances to the supreme Personality of Godhead:
- One, who has worshipped Vishnu or offered Him obeisances once, even neglectful, will go to Shri Vaikuntha Dhama which is worshipped by the demigods and is rare even for them.
- One who bathes Shri Madhava with a conchshell full of Ganga water while saying, "O Narayana! I offer obeisances unto you", does not have to take birth again. He attains Vaikunthaloka.
- "I offer my respectful obeisances to the Supreme Absolute Truth, Krishna, who is the well-wisher of the cows and the brahmanas as well as the living entities in general. I offer my repeated obeisances to Govinda, who is the pleasure reservoir for all the senses.
- Simply by offering obeisances to Lord Govinda, even once, one receives the merit of performing one hundred horse sacrifices. In fact, performers of sacrifices are undoubtedly born in this world again whereas those who offer obeisances to Lord Krishna never experience birth in the material world again.
This is a verse from the Srimad-Bhagavatam (10.14-8)
tat te 'nukampāḿ su-samīkṣamāṇo
hṛd-vāg-vapurbhir vidadhan namas te
jīveta yo mukti-pade sa dāya-bhāk
"My dear Lord, one who constantly waits for Your causeless mercy to be bestowed upon him and who goes on suffering the reactions of his past misdeeds, offering You respectful obeisances from the core of his heart, is surely eligible for liberation, for it has become his rightful claim."
Lord Siva speaking to Skanda, “Any person, who has seen Salagram Sila, paid obeisances to Him, bathed and worshipped Him, has achieved the results of performing ten million sacrifices and giving ten million cows in charity. — Skanda Purana – Haribhakti vilas